Following commencement on December 18th, Google Workspace (including Google Drive) will be retired for Students as part of the University of Nebraska at Omaha's continuing effort to align with the University of Nebraska System's initiative on efficiencies.
All Staff and Organization accounts will be retired in Spring of 2024, around March 9th. Faculty migrations will begin after the spring 2024 semester ends.
Benefits & Features
Factors Driving the Change
- Google has changed the terms of their licensing for all educational customers.
- By switching to Microsoft 365 all University of Nebraska campuses will be utilizing the same suite of productivity tools allowing for better and more uniform support of the service.
- Microsoft 365 offers University wide communication and collaboration services and capabilities using industry leading tools such as Microsoft Teams, OneDrive and SharePoint as well as the entire suite of Office Apps.
- Microsoft 365 includes advanced security services that will enhance the digital protection for University data beyond what Google currently provides.
- More available storage space for users. Included in our Microsoft 365 agreement is a starting allotment of 1tb of cloud storage space for all users.
- November 22, 2023 - Last day for students to complete the GMav Migration OPT-IN form to have ITS migrate your data into MS365. After this date, you will need to utilize takeout.google.com
- December 18, 2023 - ITS will lock student accounts and begin migrating student data to MS365 for those who have opted in.
- December 2023 - ITS will begin communications to all staff and organization accounts for migration.
- March 9, 2024 - ITS will lock staff and organization accounts and begin migrating data to MS365.
- May 17, 2024 - ITS will lock faculty (any remaining) accounts and begin migrating data to MS365.
- July 1, 2024 - ITS will decommission the UNO GMAV tenant.
What you need to do to prepare
- Students must complete the Opt-In form by November 22nd in order to have your data migrated to MS365 by ITS. If this is not completed by November 22nd, you will need to utilize takeout.google.com to export your content.
- Cleanup your GMav Google account
- Be sure to log into your GMav Google account and delete any data you no longer need.
- Check if your UNO GMAV account may be linked to other services including but not limited to YouTube, Google Photos and Android accounts. These will need to be updated to your personal email account prior to account closure.
To view all third-party connected apps associated with your account: Login to your UNO GMAV account in a web browser and open your profile picture at the top right of the page. Select Manage your Google Account, then open Security in the left menu. Scroll down to Your connections to third-party apps & services, and select See all connections. (ITS is unable to recover access to any third-party application after your GMav account is retired)
**Not all Google Workspace applications have a Microsoft equivalent and Google users may need to transition certain services to personal Google accounts.**