Canvas (by Instructure) is a cloud-based learning management system (LMS) that is currently used by more than 700 colleges and universities around the world. Canvas is the LMS at all four of the University of Nebraska campuses (UNK, UNL, UNMC, UNO).
Benefits & Features
Canvas provides a set of tools focused on improving teaching and learning through a modern interface, and the ability to extend the platform to outside tools and systems.
Important Canvas Procedures
- Each semester the college or department will update MavLINK with the courses that will be taught. Once this is completed Canvas will be updated (overnight) and the course(s) will appear in the Canvas Dashboard as well as the Courses link. The week before the start of semester and the first week of classes this update happens twice a day. Canvas is populated with upcoming semester courses on the following schedule:
- Fall Semester - April 1st
- Spring Semester - November 1st
- Summer Semester - March 1st
- As of May 2017 courses will be kept within Canvas for 10 semesters. If this procedure needs to be altered Information Technology Services will partner with Faculty Senate before any changes are made. This procedure was put into place due to Federal Financial Aid rules.
- A month after semester is over, students will only have read access to a course. Students will no longer find courses on the Dashboard. Students and instructors will need to look within the Courses icon under past enrollments.
- Incompletes: If a student has an incomplete and needs access to one of the courses they were enrolled, contact the MavTech Help Center at 402.554.4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Information needed is students name and NUID along with the course number, section number, and term.
- There is a Federal Law on documenting student activity in course if student receives financial aid and then drops the course. The UNO Financial Aid office will contact the instructor of record to complete a form. The student becomes inactive within Canvas when they drop the course, but instructor of record can go back and check activity on this student. The steps in Canvas are:
- Select People.
- Find the student in the list that has the Inactive button.
- Select the vertical ellipses on the inactive student and the select User Details.
- A new screen appears and select User Activity and Student Grades.
All active NU students and faculty. Accounts are automatically created after the first time the user logs in.
There is no charge for this service, which is considered a common-good service.
Please refer to the responsible use policy.
Support for any Canvas user is available 24x7 through phone, chat or e-mail. To use this support:
- Login to Canvas
- Click 'Help' (question mark icon)
- Select the type of help you want to use
- Login to Canvas, go to “Help” in the left side navigation pane, locate the support or training information.
- Please submit a ticket via to the ITS Unified Service Desk