Each virtual server or VM is it’s own operating system instance, separate from other VMs. This is generally the most cost effective option for hosting as the hardware and maintenance costs are shared among all VM owners. Any application is a good candidate to be run in a VM regardless of the resources required to effectively run the application.
Benefits & Features
- Server consolidation: If applications running on separate computers do not utilize the computing resources of their computers, they can be consolidated onto a smaller number of servers using virtualization technology. UNL can boost hardware utilization.
- No physical hardware dependency: If a physical server fails, the VM server will automatically restart on another host. VMs can be moved while online to another host for various hardware and software maintenance tasks.
- Smaller footprint: Virtualizing servers decreases the number of physical boxes that the University must use. This means a smaller datacenter, with the resulting decreases in cooling and electrical costs.
- Hardware costs: Because virtualization allows for greater utilization of existing resources, fewer physical servers are required, saving money both on upfront hardware costs and and on maintenance costs.
- Flexibility and agility: Virtualization allows for the quick creation of different operating system environments, it is easy to run legacy applications alongside new versions, migrate applications to new environments, and restore systems in post-disaster scenarios.
- Ease of Testing and Development: Virtualization speeds up the development and testing process because it makes it easier to create different operating system environments. Virtualization allows designers to compare application performance across different operating environments, as well testing out applications in virtual environments (which therefore avoids destabilizing the system that users are currently using).
- VM service includes snapshot (crash consistent) based backup of VM on a daily basis and stored according to our standard retention policy at no additional cost. If application consistent backups are required, additional costs apply.